26 November, 2008

sigh and chuckle

The definition of insanity is repeating the same behavior over and over again, expecting different results each time. it doesn't seem so insane the first, say, dozen or so times, but after a couple of years worth accrue, one has to wonder what sort of deficiency blocks the realization that things are simply not going to change.

So why is it that I continue to be baffled by what people do? Surprised that I can't get a straight answer to simple questions, mystified when I am cut off and stepped on as I exit the subway train, nonplussed when some hothead flips out over something that would seemingly be pleasant and beneficial to him or her.

And yet I continue. I say please, thank you and excuse me, knowing that such courtesies will most like not be returned and more often than not, will be met with a blank, perplexed stare. Sometimes to boot, I will also get a challenge from the recipient, as if a fight should break out. It's like bizarro world, sometimes and all I can really do is just laugh a little. What a bunch of odd folk, out there.

Only a couple more obstacles in my way, until I am whisked away on a train, to rumble past the obnoxious and confusing and head out to a place of warm cookies and family dinner and lounging around - at least for a day.

I bid you a happy turkey day, in advance. May your plate be full and your mind be empty.

No comments :