29 August, 2011

hurrickin

That's how old people say hurricane and I think it's funny. Kind of like dah-a-beetis instead of diabetes.

Anyway, funnest hurricane ever! I snuck in nine miles on Saturday morning and during the last mile, the heavens opened and we were soaked like drowned rats. Fun! Then I went to the wine store when I got home and since the line was out the door, I made friends and we talked about how emergency preparedness should always include copious amounts of booze. Fun!

I fielded some calls from the west coast from concerned citizens who had heard about the hurricane this weekend and the earthquake last week - yes the earthquake that went from Virginia to Boston - and I told them to stay tuned, because this week would probably see us have an attack of locusts to complete the natural event trifecta. I do feel badly for the people who endured flooding and downed power lines, because that's gotta suck in a big way. For my experience from Midtown West however, I was having a good time. Booze, food, and several very long, very fun conversations which have led to many intriguing plans for the near and far term.

The best part though, was walking to my office on Saturday night in the torrent and stopping at 7th avenue to look down toward Times Square, which was completely. empty. Not a car or a soul in sight, but all the lights were still going as if it were packed. I love when I get glimpses of the city like that. Makes me feel like I'm on my own little island for a few hours.

Back to reality in the morning though, as the city rolls on and the partners all make excuses for why we should all come in and they should stay home and enjoy the perfect, perfect weather that lies ahead. We knew this would happen, but at least we had fun!

No comments :