23 August, 2011

Exhibit A

In reference to the aforementioned 'type' I deal with in my workplace, I offer you Exhibit A; a brief but illustrative anecdote.

Boss is on vacation right now. Out of the country, a couple time zones away, but with full internet access, mind you, so really it's like boss is not even gone. I am peppered with a couple dozen email requests and flip-outs per day, but no bother because it is easier than dealing with boss in person. One such request went like this:

Boss was contacted by a third party asking after boss's address. Rather than reply to the person directly and type out the address, Boss forwards ME the request, cc's the third party and asks me to give third party Boss's address. Yes, you read that correctly.

I comply and email Boss's home address (the email read as a personal request), third party writes me back to thank me, I move on with my day.

Four hours later, Boss emails me and cc's the third party again, to inform me that I should send over Boss's work address instead, thus AGAIN seizing the opportunity to not do something him or herself and to pass it over to someone else, thereby wasting everyone's time for no good reason.

I again comply and send over the work address to the third party, copying Boss on the note. An hour and a half after I send that, Boss emails me a third time to ask if I have sent the correct information. I wish I could tell you that this was somehow out of character. But no, it was just Monday.

No comments :