17 October, 2007

snobbery

I'm a snob. I can admit it. I'm snobby about certain things, such as fitness, and though this admission may come as a surprise to some, I can't really be blamed for my snobbiness, because I have put in the time to get to my level of competency on this subject.

I'm having a conflict, however and here it is. The world is full of obese, obnoxious, whiner-complainer types, who can't seem to haul themselves up off their asses to take care of their health. Conversely, the world is full of skinny people, who, eating disorder, drug problem or no, stand around smoking their cigarettes and going on about how flabby they are getting and how badly they need to go to the gym. Both of these types annoy me to a disturbing degree and I'm not entirely sure why. What irritates me, perhaps the most, is listening to the people, mostly the skinny ones, go on and on, ad nauseum, about how they took "a class" and are now "so sore [they] can barely move".

What this says to me, is that this person works out inconsistently at best, and takes the occasional class, not because it's going to improve their health, but because they then have a good story to tell everyone within earshot about why their sore gluts are keeping them from walking up stairs or taking a quick step. They talk about things like how they did "like a hundred" lunges, while holding weight (which is usually less than 10 pounds), or comment on how the ab circuit was so tough that they are sore in places they didn't even know had muscles.

Here's a quick note: that's because you don't have muscles, dipshit.

So here's where the conflict part comes in. As an athlete, I should be happy that people are out there and exercising. One of my great hopes for the world is for people to be in good shape and be happy and to see how much a healthy lifestyle can improve your life on many levels. To some degree, I am happy that at least a modicum of healthy activity is going on around me. I just wish that they, the fringe exercisers, could find less annoying ways to discuss it and additionally, I wish that people would realize what hard work really is, relative to training. But I guess that's the difference between working out and training. I train. I always have.

Excluding certain pockets of the last 18 months, I haven't had a day without practice of some sort since I was two. Literally. I was two when I started taking dance classes, 6 when I began doing team sports. Since then, I have had seasons cross over, or continue year round until 2006, when I decided to investigate why a smart girl like me was so broke, and get a corporate job. But even then, the sedentary draw didn't stick and I started back up with training. I haven't nailed down my next sport of choice yet, but while I'm thinking about it, I'd rather be strong and fit for no reason than make excuses for why I'm weak and squishy and haven't had time to make it to "body sculpting with sven".

I'm a workout snob and I'm okay with it.

No comments :