10 January, 2012

steps

I am two syllable sore today. I'm sure this will be the first of many days in the near future where I say that, but it feels good because I'm of the mind that a nice, long bout of steady state is just the medicine tomorrow night.

I went to a skinny, old, uncrowded bar in my neighborhood tonight. I actually kind of love this bar for purposes of a small group, a soccer game, or playing cards with someone. It was pretty quiet when we arrived, but at one point a group of about six people came in, which filled the small space a lot more. They were animated, but not annoying and at one point, the bartender came over to say that the gentleman at the end of the bar had bought the place a round. I got up to thank this whiskey-giving soul and realized that he was a young guy - not some older gentleman in a fit of generosity - a young guy in maybe his early thirties. And he wasn't snotty. It's these little, random moments that kill me sometimes, where I realize how far I have to go to catch up to my potential and be in a position to do something of this nature, just because I feel like it and it's Monday. This time however, it was motivating.

We will ignore the fact that this story centers on being in a bar, drinking whiskey beverages on Monday.

Turns out I like who I am and the path I'm cutting. I like the goals I have in mind and I like how I am evolving as a human being. I just need to keep going, is all. It seems there are two ways to approach challenges. Well actually I'm sure there are a million, but I think they trend toward two groups. One can be overwhelmed by the challenge and either fold or slowly chip away under the burden, or get aggressive. It may make you sore and it may feel like a tougher road, but at the end of it, maybe you'll be able to buy an entire bar a round of drinks and be happy about it. Literally or metaphorically.

No comments :