17 January, 2012

reminder

I had a doctor appointment this morning where I got some great news, for once. Because this appointment was scheduled for 8:15am, I would be missing a little bit of the earliest hour of work. In fact, there was no reason why I wouldn't be in by 9 (I was in by 9), for the remaining 10 hours of my obnoxiously long day.

I sent out a note to this effect to six people. Yes, six people needed to know that I would be somewhere between fifteen and thirty minutes late for work. Six people whose lives would be irretrievably, negatively affected, if I did not tell all six as opposed to the two who actually needed to know. But dutifully, I notified the quorum of six on Friday, that I had a first-thing doctor appointment this morning.

As I woke up this morning and got ready to go, I thought to myself that it would be a nice thing to send out a reminder to the quorum to remind them, yet again, that I'd be in late this morning, but just a skosh. I used my blackberry device to craft just such a message, then sat with the doctor receiving good news, for a change, which will prompt me to go purchase new running shoes after work today.

I strolled out of the doctor's office and out onto 57th street, excited that I know my body well enough to know when it's time to go and check things out and see what the next step is in my recovery to normal me. As I cruised up to my building, I noticed my blackberry flashing and that boss had replied to my reminder email. It was 8:50 when I did this.

"You should have sent me a this last night," it said. "I had something for you to do this morning at 8:30."


I'm unflappable.

No comments :