18 July, 2008

zen

Today I snapped out of my morning fog to realize that I had been daydreaming about rowing for quite some time. It was the first time in a long, long time where I had a total zen moment thinking about being on the water.

I could feel myself twisting out to port and releasing my hands to let the blade lock itself into my lats before the pistons fired my knees down. I could hear the lock of the collar in the oarlock and hear the thump of the feather at the finish. I heard my breath and felt the run of the boat as the bow slid ahead.

And then I heard the soothing rush of bubbles frantically working their way down the keel to the stern. I floated weightlessly above the water on the recovery as the boat pulled me back up to the catch again. The sun glinted off the water into my eyes, sweat salting my skin. That was bliss in 5 minutes that will give me fuel for the whole day and then some.

1 comment :

Anonymous said...

sometimes visualization is almost as good as the real thing ...

- k