22 July, 2008

lame

Lame could describe many things right now, for me. What I happen to refer to at the moment however, is actual, physical lameness; the kind that comes when I, who prefers water sports to anything else, somehow manage to get a football injury. I feel this is a proxy injury, actually, or perhaps something voo doo'ed to me by a specific source, but I have it, so now I must deal.

If you don't know what turf toe is, allow me to illuminate you. Fascinating shit, really. Shaquille O'neal has had it for years and I have read that over 50% of those who get it, have it for good. Saaaaa-weet. In the simplest terms, it feels like walking and running with a broken foot / big toe. It throbs at certain times and is always tender to the touch. Sometimes it swells up, but sometimes I forget it's there at all. Because you see i can still run, I just can't really do much afterward, when it inflates itself and becomes angry. Good times.

The strange thing is, this injury is on my right side. That never happened before last year, when I sprained my ankle, while misstepping on second avenue and ending up in a pothole (but saving the computer I was carrying, athankyou). Does this indicate that my life is becoming more balanced? If I can be hurt on both sides now, is that some sort of progress? I'm trying to find any way to skew the situation into having a silver lining, because all I am seeing is my 4 pack getting further and further away.

Soon however, I will purchase new running shoes and see if a little extra cushion will afford me a couple more days a week on the steady state tip. Maybe give me a little pillow for my damaged piggie, so it won't notice that I'm not giving it as much rest as it wants. I'm icing it tenderly and saying complimentary things to it meantime, while formulating my strategy to battle the toe de turf for control of my foot. I will win, o yes, I will win it back, because if I lose my stress outlet, people could be maimed, and we have to keep the public safe now, don't we?

A torn joint capsule will not keep me down and I will rise like the phoenix I am, because I would really like to do another triathlon or a marathon at the end of the year, and no effing turf toe is getting in my way, dammit.

No comments :