16 October, 2011

small victories

I ran 20 miles today. I went through four of the five boroughs and over four bridges.

My knees feel like someone took a baseball bat to the outside of each one. My left knee hurt from the first step and I decided I would just run until it didn't hurt anymore. Turns out that's oxymoronic, but whatever. I suppose I was drawing on a quote that one of the run organizers had said.

"There will be a hundred reasons to slow down, stop, or give up. But you only need one to keep going, so find out what that is today."


My body hurts and tomorrow is going to hurt just as bad or worse, despite the yoga and epsom salt baths and steam room. But as I was falling asleep yesterday, a thought that occurred to me is, it is never going to hurt that bad again, because I will never be in this kind of bad shape again. I can move now.

No comments :