19 June, 2008

satc

If you know what this acronym means, you are either gay, female, or extreeeeeemely metro. here is a review....

I watched the show, but only after it had been on for a few years and only after my roommates girlfriend made a stink about us getting HBO so that she could see it at our house. After she made this proclamation and sucked forty dollars a month from my pocket, she then forced me to sit out and watch it with her because we were "the girls". Actually the one who really did the forcing was my roommate and he paid in beer for about 6 months.

Anyway the point is, I then began to watch the show and overall found it funny and entertaining. I could get to this because I realized that each character is a vivid representation of a very strong female "type". Very few people are actually like any of those characters all by themselves. Most are a hybrid, which is obviously what kept the show going as long as it did. That and the candor with which these women talked about embarrassing and sensitive subjects. That said, I had intended to see the movie how I saw the show: by dvd and re-run. When it turned out that a social opportunity arose however, I went for it and sat with my neck cramped as I stared directly up at the screen from the second row. I'm still not sure what most of the characters were actually supposed to look like, but I'm not about to make that trip again.

Here's what really bugged me about this movie. The thing I liked best about the show, was that it was funny. It was really funny and even in the midst of some pretty serious, sad or scary situations (alliteration, athankyou), the general rule of the program was to keep it at least entertaining. Not as cheesy as a sitcom, but not as heavy as a full drama. In the movie however, it was just all heavy. All sad. It was 2.5 hours of heavy and sad with one or two laughs chucked in so that the movie patrons didn't all start trying to off themselves with tweezers and nail clippers right there in the theater.

To boot, there was only one hot man in the movie and although he was gracious enough to give a couple quick full-frontal seconds, he wasn't nearly enough to perk up the drab, sad, brooding rest of the movie. But here's what I really take issue with; Carrie's situation is completely unrealistic and nearly unfathomable in its absurdity. I was disappointed when, on the show, "Big" miraculously became a decent guy who was going to magically stop fucking with her head. Not gonna happen in real life. Ever. And this is no angry female talking, it's a real person with real life experiences speaking. So when "Big", who is now "John", jilts her in her Vivianne Westwood gown, they should have left it at that and saved women all over the world years of time hoping that their dipshit boyfriend would come around, too. Because if there was hope for Big, well then there's hope for us all, right? Uh, no.

There were moments of the movie that I enjoyed, but I won't give them away because I hate to spoil the laughs when there are so few of them. But I have to say, this movie re-enforces why I don't do chick flicks. I can never get those hours of my life back and I spend the whole time going "are you fucking kidding me???" Sorry ladies, here's hoping they can the sequel idear.

No comments :