11 June, 2008

kobe

No, not the beef that carnivores around the world so love, but the player of basketball whom I can't stand. O yeah, that's right, I said it. Kobe is lame and I intend to detail why, right here.

I remember when Kobe Bryant was a high school phenom and I remember when, right after he had signed with the Lakers, he started dating some chick (who is now his wife) at Fountain Valley High School, where a friend of mine taught. He was then, an eager kid, loaded with talent and working hard to endear himself to the players and fans in LA. My, that seems like a world ago.

Then, Kobe was a twin star with Shaq. Between the two of them, the rest of the NBA might as well have been playing with their fingers taped together, because the available power was just unstoppable, except for one thing; Kobe turned into a bitch. It was during that time, that the real Kobe came out - a spoiled brat, who threw temper tantrums when he didn't get his way. He pulled punches on the court and whined to the press and it soured me on him for good.

The last time I was really a Laker fan, or a basketball fan at all, was really the last time that the Laker and Celtic's dynasties went head to head, waaaaayyyy back in the Magic and Larry era. After that, basketball lost me for a variety of reasons, but I secretly hoped it would come back to me, even if to date, I have only ever played one game of basketball (a one-on-one pick up game 2 years ago). I am still a sports fan and have trouble not liking any sport that is actually a sport. I'll get into and debate my definition on that last part some other time.

Anyway, back to the point. Kobe. Kobe bitched and whined his way into Shaq getting traded, which I really think was the biggest mistake the Lakers could have made at the time. Trading a player with tons of heart and work ethic and leadership, for a whiny little brat. Now there is absolutely no question that Kobe is an extraordinary talent. No question that he has the ability to be the best player ever to grace the game. What I take issue with is his attitude and his leadership. He's a baby and when it suits him, he will bust out 50 points just to shut everyone up, while the rest of the time he prances around and throws fits on the court if things are not going his way. Suffice it to say, I'm not a fan.

So even though Luke Walton and Sasha whats-his-face and all the other guys are busting their asses and even though LA is technically my hometown, I cannot root for the Lakers. Cut the bitch and I'm back on board. I'll be welcoming your hate mail.

No comments :