16 May, 2008

oesterreich, achtung!

What the hell is going on with the people of Austria? These people are nuts, I tell you. Either a disproportionate number of them are born with moderate to severe mental defect, or there is some sort of strange and upsetting undercurrent in that culture, which encourages really, really disturbing behavior. Really disturbing. I feel pretty safe in this assumption, because for such a small country they sure love to lock each other up for years at a stretch and hack each other to bits. In the last two weeks alone, there have been international news stories on everything from incest and captivity, to ax murder over an investment loss.

I mean, I guess it's good that they are all contained in one, tiny country, but that country is in the middle of Europe and those people can just roam around freely in the world. What if they leave Austria and try to populate other parts of that continent? What if they are super mobile and go into other continents like, say our continent? I'm approaching this from the view of mad cow or foot and mouth disease. See, the mad people, much like the mad cows, need to be quarantined, lest they infect the more normal people around them. Then there would be infected populations all over the world. It would be like SARS or bird flu...the ramifcations of such an epidemic could be catastrophic.

The upside of the mad Austrians, is that fortunately, they don't seem to be hurting strangers, so i guess the key to your safety is to not be related to or dearly befriend an Austrian. This of course, would ostracize the normal Austrian folk, but one can't be too careful now.

I realize that I, writing from the comfort of the United States, and New York, no less, really don't have a finger to point in terms of number of crazies in close proximity, but my country and state are both HUGE comparitively, so what I'm really aiming at here is the ratio of crazy to normal. I'd say Austria's got that won for sure.

No comments :