29 March, 2012

shuffled

My shuffle was stolen a couple of weekends ago. It was stolen along with some other semi-valuable-but-not-really items, right out of my bag. Irritating.

But it unfortunately seems that this has kicked off a really weird 'missing or lost stuff' phase for me. It's really quite annoying, actually. What I want to know though, is how this stuff ends up piling on. It started with some asshole who stole a bunch of stuff out of a bag I had with me when I took a bus ride. I got out because Boss beckoned (four times in an hour) with a pressing question about a document that was in her own folder. Boss doesn't actually look for anything that's right in front of her face, Boss just flips out until someone calmly demonstrates that it's right in front of Boss's face. So I hop off the bus at a rest stop and don't notice anything amiss.

Turns out however, that the person across the way from me had seen fit to take my shuffle, my toiletries bag (wtf?) a small, green, spiral bound notebook (2xwtf??) and a pen. She did not take my small bag of jewelry, which I found a little odd, nor did she take my expensive GPS watch, which was in the same part of the bag as the shuffle. This girl looked like she'd never been on a run in her life, though, so she couldn't have known that was the most expensive item in the bag.

Anyway, that stuff was stolen and then for a good three or four days, everything was lost. Everything. I somehow managed to lose my debit card and ID, when the wristlet I was wearing (the name wristlet, incidentally, implies that it's strapped to my wrist) mysteriously was just gone from my arm, strap and all. My phone was "lost" about a dozen times in that same time period. I couldn't find the simplest things, whether they were actually missing, or not. I did a dance in the kitchen, I metaphorically burned sage, I looked up into the sky and shouted "why, why, whyeeee", in an effort to break the randomly-lost-stuff curse. This ever happened to you?

I have no idea if the curse was actually broken, but I'm paranoid now, because I am too lazy to go to the DMV to get a new license, despite the fresh opportunity for a better photo, and I carry my passport all over the place. I also bought a new shuffle and replaced my expensive perfume, which are both still in the iffy time frame for being lost, broken, or stolen, simply because they are new items. Actually that applies to my laptop as well....scary times!

It's like some weird cloud of irresponsibility washed over me for a few days there - with no support or effort from yours truly - and now I'm trying to get the residue off of me, because that shit is concerning when you are facing the prospect, or well, the inevitablilty of having no job or form of stable income for the foreseeable future. I metaphorically burned sage again, to get the lost ick off of me.

Perhaps the figurative sage burning will have the unintended but not necessarily unwanted side effect of making that bottle of expensive perfume break in her bag, the shuffle inexplicably not work and the toiletries give her some bizarre, temporarily disfiguring rash. Too bad I won't see them comeuppance.

No comments :