24 September, 2007

montag

And here we are again....Monday morning and I'm yawning because I couldn't seem to find sleep last night. Funny, seems like I was just having this same series of thoughts last week and I was searching just as frantically for my mp3 player so that I could tune out the Monday morning yakking going on all around me.

I'm not a morning person, but I'm also not not a morning person, provided I have a halfway decent nights sleep. We're all in the same boat here, I'm sure of it. I saunter the streets of midtown on my way to work and see nothing but yawns and blank faces. Not an excited or animated visage in the bunch. Every poor bastard out at 8am on Monday morning is thinking the same thing: "do I really have to go in today?"

Why is Monday so hard? I suggest it's because Americans work hours that are too long, without taking breaks and freak out too much about productivity, even though things are generally moving along quite well. I also believe this hysteria, coupled with our long hours and lack of breaks, actually makes us less productive, in the long run. However, if I were to voice this opinion in my office, I would be summarily shot by upper management and used as an example; hung to taunt everyone, in the glass-walled conference room. Let that be a lesson to yus.

I propose a simple mini-solution for the near term; napping. This could quite possibly be the greatest invention ever. If offices were stocked with these nifty pods, management might be a little more affable and the average worker, a little less bleary-eyed come 3pm. Monday might not hurt so bad, either. The other alternative is for us (and by us I mean me) to set ourselves up with jobs that we enjoy. Take the time to do a little extra on the scholastic front so we can be a bit more picky about the environments in which we will earn our living. Maybe even earn a living working for ourselves instead of for a man who started in his living room and still thinks he's there.

No comments :