25 September, 2007

eff that.

My favorite word is the word 'fuck'. This has been my favorite word for upwards of two decades, because of it's versatility and impact. You can't say the word fuck without ears perking up all around. If a point needs to be emphasized, fuck will get the job done well, every time. I tried, for a while, to soften my thoughts and speech and not use the word fuck quite so often, but I've fallen in love with it all over and I've promised it that I'll never abandon it again.

We have a special relationship, I've come to learn and the more I think about it, the more I value it.

"Wanna stay at work for several extra hours without pay?"

"Fuck that!"

"Hey, I'm gonna say a bunch of stupid things to you and piss you off, whatcha think about that?"

"Fuck off!"

"Oh, no! I've stubbed my toe and now it's bleeding in my shoe!"

"Fuck!"

Simple and to the point, that word. I don't necessarily promote the shouting and flagrant use of it in public, because it does have immense power to offend, but generally speaking, I feel that free use of that word is, in no way, problematic.

The only time I can really advocate moderation with the word fuck is when telling people where to go; to "fuck off", if you will. By the time I get to uttering that phrase, we are past the point of repair in our conversation or relationship, and whatever damage that word does, I readily accept as inevitable and necessary. In fact, among people I know and with whom I have had any sort of regular correspondence or relationship, I can really only think of one to whom I've said "Ugh, Fuck off!" Most of the time, I'll just ask them to go away. Given my command of the English language, I can find more subtle ways of getting that to happen than to blatantly abuse them with the f word. I guess I'm generally a more good natured "fuck" user and gravitate toward it for narrative and humorous purposes, rather than to incite anger or combat.

Anyway, the point is, I encourage everyone to find a word to which they are so loyal. It makes speaking more like bathtime where your word of choice becomes the rubber ducky that makes you squeal with glee at the very thought of it. Fuck, that's fantastic.

See?

No comments :