17 December, 2012

guns


It's not a secret that I don't like guns.  I understand the right to own them and although it's not my personal choice, I am fine with someone having a hunting rifle for the purposes of getting food to feed themselves, or their families.  If you want to hunt a bison and have food for the winter, I don't have a problem with it. 

But assault weapons?  No.  No way is that necessary in our society today, or ever.  No way is it a good idea to keep yourself or your kids locked away in a room staring at a screen and fake-killing people.  No way is it okay to get off on violence of any kind.  I don't believe violence and cruelty are dominant tenets of human nature.  Those things are cultivated, those fires stoked by a culture steeped in one-upsmanship and sensationalism. 

Today Joe Scarborough - someone for whom I have respect but with whom I often don't agree - gave a stunning monologue on his show.  When a guy of such previously unshakable conviction becomes introspective and changes his beliefs, I think it is worth some attention.
It's time to change.  Now.  One change will affect more change and that can only serve as a way to start reversing our society's tragic outlook on violence.  I agree wholeheartedly with you on this one, Joe.  And I am going to look into how I can be a part of affecting change.  

No comments :