10 December, 2012

grits

I went to Ted's Bulletin for breakfast again this morning (Sunday).  That place never, ever disappoints.  Probably because they have "adult milkshakes".  Look 'em up.  Today they had the special - which our cute waiter said "was descended upon and devoured by the staff, at tasting" - consisting of a house smoked salmon cake atop grits, with a poached egg, drizzled with hollandaise.  It was decadent and amazing.  I will think about that meal for a while.  I will also probably do an extra two hours of steady state this week to make up for it, but it was worth every bite.

The people at the table next to us were doing daytime drinking and were apparently quite a ways into that process.  Other people's drunkenness is only fun when you, too, are drinking.  When you are tired or have a slight tinge of hangover and just want to bury your face in the plate of joy in front of you, their antics are only annoying.  Nothing is so funny to require a round of belly-laughs every ten minutes on a Sunday morning, jerks.   

Isn't that how it is?  The nonsense is only funny when it's your nonsense.  Otherwise, you will sit there all like 'oh emm gee what the crap is wrong with these obnoxious scamps?'  Because, deep down we are all a bunch of hypocrites. 

Later, I found a chef's knife that I will now fixate on, at Union Market, once we rolled ourselves away from brunch.  The gentleman I spoke with was advising me while sharpening a $900 knife on a whetstone.  I want to be of the means where I could walk into a marketplace and just pick up a $900 chef's knife, for fun.  If I could do that however, I could probably also afford a $26 sandalwood and tobacco candle and a $41 old apothecary bottle, which I would purchase for decorative purposes and then put in the chotchky section of my kitchen. 

Of course, I need a kitchen that can handle a chotchky section, first.  But man, those grits and salmon were out of control. 


No comments :