18 July, 2012

hunnid pascint

Ten percent luck, Twenty percent skill,
Fifteen percent concentrated power of will
Five percent pleasure
Fifty percent pain
And a 100 percent reason to remember the name

I have had that song stuck in my head for about two weeks now and after being at a regatta all weekend and having put myself back in the game by both getting a job and hurling myself back into the dating pool, I think my moxie is ratcheting up again. 

It has also been in my head because it's Olympic season.  We are just a couple of weeks away from watching a kid I knew since she was a tween win a medal, and following her progress has ensured that I will bawl my eyes out when I hear the national anthem play for her.  Yeah, I'm totally living vicariously on this one, but for every one of her, there are twenty of me, who succumbed to injury and had our dreams stolen. 

I have new dreams, though, and they are great.  My story of not making the Olympics sucks, but is definitely not unique and I'm not the type to sit back and bemoan the past.  When it comes down to it, you are where you are and you either move forward, or shrivel up and blow away.  We can all still do great things and if we aren't pushing for more - ever hungry to be the best version of ourselves - then what's the point?

Make a difference in your own life, man.  If you can't do that, all you can do is leech off of those who can.  And I am a giver, but I don't like leeches. 

No comments :