23 September, 2010

j.o.buh

Apparently people are going annonymous these days. Must have been an exchange to that effect, but enough o that.

Everyone wishes for a week off here and there. It's a chance to rejuvenate, to stop stressing about the daily grind, and to do things you really want to do, but never seem to have the time for. Of course, this is only enjoyable and stolen time, if you have gainful employment.

I am now, for pretty much the first time in my life, unemployed. The time off is not fun. But this is where I hit a snag.....how are there so many people in the world who just don't work. How does someone keep a gig like that up? I really can't wrap my mind around how a person can sit day in and day out, doing whatever, and not having gainful employment and a steady paycheck to rely on. I am five days into this process and I'm going out of my mind. The stress of NOT going to work is almost overwhelming.

Some people in this situation, would take advantage and go shopping mid-day, meet "people" (though I don't know who has mid-day time for this shit) out for coffee, see a Broadway matinee, or have a liquid lunch that turns into a liquid afternoon, evening and night. Here's where the logic of that enjoyment loses me though: if you are hemorrhaging money out, with nothing coming in, how do you reconcile those expenditures?

I realize this may seem a little dramatic, given that it has only been a week, but regardless, it's a week that doesn't have an end, because I haven't received the call for work until I head out of dodge in a few. I think the only thing to do at this point, is to flee the country and enter into self-imposed exile until things pick up. I'm not sure how that works out, but it seems counterintuitive to blow a bunch of money in a town that is sucking me dry, despite the relative ability of about a million people around me everyday to do it.

I think perhaps I should hit up the learning annex for classes on how to navigate unemployment properly. I need tips on how to while away in total unproductive and impoverished bliss, without caring where the next dime is coming from. Or perhaps I am missing a money making opportunity here. Perhaps I can use joblessness as a research experiment and then create my own class to teach others how to waste away properly.

Lesson one....in order to be properly useless, one must have the appropriate daytime television lineup. I shall commence on the morrow and will report back. But look at that....my industry has no bounds. I will make a business out of being without business. Stay tuned.....

No comments :