06 January, 2014

lil guys

First things first.....  It's a family feud today with the 9ers playing the Packers and I must be victorious.  My 9ers must prevail in this crazy sub-zero, tundra-esque weather. 

So then. 

I have been cat-sitting for the last 10 days, in a luxury apartment building with a pretty nice gym.  We have had quite a few really good workouts in this gym, while doing our best to assimilate with the locals.  It's really hard not to correct form or wince when watching some people try to lift, but we managed to stay centered on our own training, which, by the way, has resulted in me having substantial difficulty standing and sitting for the last several days. 

One day, we were doing upper body stuff mixed in with some pretty aggressive treadmill work.  This upper body work involved running the rack of dumbells on various exercises.  Running the rack (or the ladder, as the bookie calls it), means you do an exercise for a set number of reps with one set of dumbells and then move up in weight until you either run out of weight to do, or cannot do the next weight up.  Then you go back down the rack to where you started.  This is exhausting and effective. 

I am pretty strong.  Even in the out of shape iteration of myself, I am still stronger than most women and a lot of men. I'd rather my midsection looked a little more bikini-ready than be super strong right now, but whatever.  Now that my right side is starting to fire again, it's all good.  Anyway.  At the same time we were running the rack, there came in a pair of small, concave-chested gents, bent on pumping some iron and getting their fit on.

 They hopped on the treadmills and began their chatty warm up and then came over to the dumbell section.  In between sets of those really wide-armed pushups and some crunches, the lads muscled up 20lb dumbells for sets of overhead presses and curls.  And o how they strained and winced as they plodded through their workout.  I felt really bad when I skipped over that section, as one of them was standing about 3 feet away from me, and did double reps on the 25's and then continued my ascent.  He stared at me with a mixture of disbelief and disgust.  Sorry 'lil fella.  

It's is kind of assholey for me to make fun of them, because in truth, it makes me happy to see anyone of any body type or fitness level working out.  We don't all have to be giants and titans of fitness.  But still.  I know pecking at a keyboard takes more dexterity than strength, but maybe consider taking the stairs now and then and just go to Costco and carry around heavy shit once in a while....put them guns to use, son.

And with that, I will resume my regularly scheduled PT routine of endless one-leg focused exercises, in the hope that I will be able to outrun these munchkins if they ever read this.



1 comment :

Anonymous said...

Nice post RR