15 January, 2009

turning out

He slams his foot on the gas, racing dangerously around the minivan making a right turn behind a school bus, and nearly plows over two people in the crosswalk (me being one of them), only to come screeching to a halt less than 100 yards in front of where he started. There was a 7 year old in the car with him at the time.

Dick.

It was a really smart use of his time and vehicle, especially since he was stopping directly in front of a playground, which serves as a dropping point for an elementary school and a junior high. Good thing he saved those 4 second though. Nearly taking two lives and endangering his kid was totally worth it.

So while I was pissed off on my own and seriously thought about picking up a piece of dirty ice and hurling it at his driver side door, I was more interested in how he came to feel that driving like a maniac in front of schools bursting with children was a good idea. Actually, scratch that. I doubt he gave a squirt of piss what he was doing just then and I'm pretty sure his poor kid is gonna turn out to be an asshole, too.

See, I have a theory on this. It's actually a well-formed theory, being that I coached upwards of a hundred kids each year for about 6 or 7 years. During that time, I had the opportunity to observe the kids both around and away from their parents. Interesting dynamics for sure, but some things started to pretty much become undeniable truths. Ie: if the parents drive like maniacs and act like assholes, so go the kids. So sad.

I wanted to go up to the kid and let him know that it doesn't have to be that way. I have actually wanted to say that to scores of kids, whose parents act like the world is their toilet and everyone owes them a favor, but it is not my place and I really don't know that it would change much anyway. My two cents would last what.....1 minute? As compared with a lifetime of moronic example, my heartfelt plea is mere pittance. Doesn't stand a chance.

I want to tie down the fuckwit parents of these poor, innocent ones and strip them and their children of their reproductive capabilities, in a slightly forced Darwinian effort to save our species from their ilk. But that would border on psychotic, and sadly, is not socially acceptable, even though in the long run, the world would thank me. Whatever.

I guess my only recourse is an icy rock. At least that would ruin their day, although now that I think of it, when you piss off an asshole he becomes increasingly asshole-y, so I think that is a lose-lose as well. Why o why must there be such unfairness?

No comments :