11 September, 2008

there's remembering....

And then there's sensationalism. This is and was a horrifying, sad and emotional day for New York. Now that I live here, it's a much more palpable experience.

I wasn't here that day and I can only hope with everything in me that I never experience anything even half as traumatic.

Someone told me about a bumper sticker that reads "which way to the 9/11 gift shop?". That got me thinking and then there was a stupid concert out in front of my building today, by some random artist who has nothing to do with anything. There were flags placed around the damaged globe that used to be on the mezzanine between the towers and a crowd of people with cameras snapping away. I watched it all with confusion from the 20th floor window of my office, overlooking it all.

And then I turned on the television and became thoroughly repulsed. Why is it that this has become a sensational for-profit situation? It's like making a fucking mockery and a buck off of what millions of people suffered through and can never erase from their tortured minds. It's disgusting and those who feel it is in any way appropriate to use a desperate goodbye phone call from a person who didn't survive, as a teaser commercial for the big relive-it-all-ten-times-in-an-hour show, should be ashamed and fired. It's not right.

For my part, my heart aches for all those people who will never feel comforted.

No comments :