13 February, 2013

MD

Happy Mistress Day....the little celebrated holiday preceding the Hallmark holiday we all tolerate, tomorrow.  I suffer today not from irritation about this whole non-holiday holiday business, but from an irritation I can't quite put my finger on.  Ever had that?  You go for days not knowing why there is a nagging annoyance hanging around, just trying to go forward and shake it off.  This, too, shall pass.  And at least my homeland is no longer being terrorized by some disaffected dude with an arsenal.  

I can pinpoint one item of discontent quite easily, and here it is.  Tolerance.  Actually, acceptance.  I hate the word tolerance because it carries with the idea that things and people are to be tolerated, which I find absurd.  I am seeing lately, too little acceptance of other people, other viewpoints and other cultures.  Too much self-segregation and too little willingness to explore the world.  It bothers me immensely that one would dictate his, or her life, based primarily on what others might think of innocuous and personal decisions.  

Here's a note:  if you are engaged in something, with a person, or in a situation where no one is being hurt, or mistreated, it's nobody's business, but your own.  Those who would rail against you being gay, having an interracial relationship, choosing to expand your horizons by checking out new things and ideas in life, or trying to better yourself in some way, have no business in your life or in your decision-making process.  Shutting them out of your process shows strength of character, not the opposite.  Nay-sayers in that capacity are generally motivated by fear and that is to be pitied, not indulged.  

Personally, I realize that I'm more opinionated than many people.  I am more rigid when it comes to doing the 'right' thing and I take very seriously my loyalties.  I am not without fault, or the need for growth and evolution.  But one thing of which I am proud - and which I wish to impart and see implemented in others' lives - is my strength.  You will not see me back down or be ashamed of something I feel is right for me and I will defend the rights of others, when it comes to making decisions for their lives, as well.  

Getting off the soapbox now, but if you don't like this about me.....there's the door.   See?  Irritable.  But at least I can find something constructive to say, I guess. 

No comments :