06 May, 2014

falsehoods

I don't lie.  I don't, and here's why.  

Lying takes effort in perpetuity - effort that is simply not worth the energy.  First, you are willingly deceiving someone when you lie, which is wrong.  Second, and possibly more importantly, when you lie, you then have to remember shit.

You have to remember the lie itself, who you told the lie to, why you are lying and then you have to consistently back up that lie in perpetuity, which often requires more lies and thus more remembering of shit.  It's a ball o wax that adds up to not worth it, to me.  I mean, if I'm going to be bothered to remember stuff, I'd rather it were factual or happy information; not all of the details that lead to why I can't be trusted.  Apparently, this is a rare attitude to have, but I can't quite figure out why. 

People can get over things when you give them the truth.  They may be mad and if you've done something wrong that they ought to be mad about, well that's your own damn fault and you probably should stop doing shit that makes people mad.  Pretty simple.  The point is though, that once the truth is processed, there is still at least the respect that you have told the truth and taken your lumps, which sort of plays to our basic humanity and desire for integrity-filled relationships.  

By contrast however, people don't get over lies.  They can say they do, to get out of a situation in the moment, but really they don't.  They don't get over lies because a lie is a betrayal.  When you take away someone's right to their feelings about something, it's not only wrong, it's arrogant and unfair.  

Tonight, I had my mind blown.  Not just blown, but exploded.  Fortunately, I have had quite a bit of time and distance from the situation that was detailed for me, but nonetheless, the amount, intensity, time-duration and senselessness of it all allowed me to laugh, rather than be hurt.  But the sheer enormity of it all was easily the last thing I ever thought I'd hear in my lifetime.  

There will be more - waaaayyyy more - on this for sure in the coming posts, but for now, don't lie, people.  Just don't.  It's a waste of time where you could be doing a helluva lot more with the truth.

No comments :